Saturday, July 18, 2009

Akki’s Sardar act look staged- Saif Ali Khan


We catch-up with Saif Ali Khan who is quite nervous on his debut as a producer, and gets chatty on his production venture Love Aaj Kal and of course girlfriend Kareena.Are you satisfied with your maiden production venture? Have you given it hundred percent? Right now, I am nervous since I am newcomer as a producer. Everything is a result of your decision; nonetheless, it has been a different experience. As a producer you are never satisfied, you want more and more but we have taken care of every detail and it has been organized well. We have had a great team, and I have learnt a lot in the process. My partner Dinesh Vijan has been a great help. I was more involved in the creative aspect of the film. But it has been an exciting journey. Many of your contemporaries have already become producers; did you take tips from them?I think I have been fortunate in working with few great producers and big established banners. I have learned a lot of things from friends like Yash Raj Productions and Dharma Productions. As for my friends Karan Johar and Farhan Akhtar would have been happy to advise me. We tried our best but, I haven’t really called anyone.What made you turn producer?My interest is really not in production but after 18 years, you like to own and be creatively on your own. A lot of money is involved and your inputs mean something else. I want to learn more about business. The market earlier was different. Most heroes have moved on and turned actor directors or producers. There are not many independent producers left to work with.Reportedly Kareena wanted to play the lead opposite you in LAK?None of the directors listen to me. Imtiaz felt that Deepika suited the role better.You are working with Deepika for the first time how was it?I think we look nice and refreshing. She’s a new face and she’s young. She’s got an Indian look and is very grounded and mature. Her personality grounds me on the screen just like Rani Mukherjee does. They are very earthy just opposite of me.What is Love Aaj Kal about?The story primarily is about Jai who doesn’t believe in love and is practical. He believes that long distance relationship is a pain, so why not just be friends and don’t follow your heart types. He comes across a person who tells him what love is all about. Imtiaz has made a simple love story and it is not confusing love story as most people believe. You are playing a Sardar in the film and Akshay and Salman have played Sardars before, what is your opinion about them?I think we are different. I have not seen Salman’s film but I saw Akshay in Singh is King and I think it was glamorous and commercial. It was cool, stagey and larger than life. It’s unfair to compare us. - Sampurn Media